Thursday, July 26, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday-Judgement

I tend to shy away from controversial topics on Facebook.  This is intentional.  I can become very emotional about some of these topics, then I "respond in haste, repent in leisure."  I find I often express myself more clearly and with more charity if I take time to think my thoughts rather than blurt them out as they come to me.  A good example of such topic is traditional marriage, which I support.  I don't take this stand lightly, and I don't mean it as a condemnation of anyone.  Here's why it's not a condemnation:  I LOVE people.  I want what is best for everyone.  All of us sin.  I am far too busy identifying, confessing, and striving to overcome my own sins to waste time and energy condemning others for theirs.  You have something you're struggling with and want me to pray for you?  Love to!  Like some fraternal feedback and/or support?  Sure!  Condemnation--nope.  My yardstick of judgement is for my heart alone.  I don't even use it on my kids.  I'm simply passing on the faith to them and teaching them to judge their own hearts and actions in the light of Christ's teaching.  A tall order, to be sure, but Mother Teresa said something about God wanting my faithfulness more than success.  I just hope I'm faithful enough to give him something He can use.

No comments: