Monday, March 06, 2006

Recess

I've heard from my fellow homeschoolers that February is the hardest month. There are lots of reasons, here in the midwest the weather is one of them. The mildness of this winter has almost made it worse. Whether or not the kids can play outside has varied not just week to week, but often day to day. It's really broken the routine of our days. I guess what I mean is that I've let it disrupt our days. I really like to use recess to get things done, and when we don't have it, I feel frustrated, worn down, and harrassed by my precious children. Sometimes I need to be reminded that they aren't my obstacles to holiness, they are my path. I received just such a reminder at a recent women's conference where we focused on the "delicate balance" that our vocation requires. The balance is easier when our priorities are properly ordered. Sometimes, reading stories needs to come before loading the dishwasher. And the best quote of the conference, "Multitasking is not a virtue." Amen.

No comments: