Monday, April 23, 2012

W.I.P.

This is my last blanket for an order for a friend of mine.  I'm just documenting the process.
First step is to cut out all the squares.  The squares are actually cut in pairs, but you cut both at once, so it's  not extra work to cut them out.  For this blanket, I'm using 180 squares, but I didn't know that going in so I cut out more like 200.  Here are the stacks of squares:


The next step I showed was the layout.  It takes quite awhile to get from the cutting to the layout, because each pair of squares needs to be sewn together with an X from corner to corner, like this:


Then, I lay it out.  This blanket is going to be a nine-patch, so I choose a pattern that I like and go to town:


Wait, I think that's only the top half.


After I have it the way I want, I pick up each of the blocks(groups of nine), number them, and assemble them, like this:

When all the blocks in a row are assembled, I stitch the row together.  Here are my first three rows:


There will be five rows of four blocks each.  Tomorrow I'll post the last couple of steps, and the finished blanket!

No comments: